v

1.20.2011

#67 A new word...

penumbra  (p-nmbr)
Plural penumbras or penumbrae (p-nmbr)
1. A partial shadow between regions of full shadow (the umbra) and full illumination, especially as cast by Earth, the Moon, or another body during an eclipse. During a partial lunar eclipse, a portion of the Moon's disk remains within the penumbra of Earth's shadow while the rest is darkened by the umbra.
2. The grayish outer part of a sunspot.

-The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2005


Just learned this word today; don't know why I hadn't known of it before since it describes the kind of thing/phenomenon, that fascinates me. Makes me think of a "thin place" defined by light instead of geography. 

I know this will show up in new work. How? Not quite sure yet. But I know I will know when the moment to give birth to it arrives. Something to think about as I go about my day...

The period when ideas are gestating is one of my favorites. I love the anticipation of what is to come.

Very much like holding Spring in my heart during Winter.

-karen anne

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails