v

5.22.2010

#1 A new decade deserves a new look!

I am 60 years old today!

I love the idea of starting a whole new decade (really, I do!!!) and feel compelled to start it with a fresher look for this blog and all my business ephemera - to match the fresh, new look in my studio. Things that feel heavy and cluttered and fussy no longer appeal. Bright, light, and clean is what captures my heart these days. I hope the new look appeals to you, too!

And, after working on and off on the third floor for over a year, my new studio is finally finished! I'm so happy with the results; it's exactly how I envisioned it would be:

I stapled velcro under the edge of my worktable and attached these striped rugs I found at Ross's for $6.98 each. They cover the plastic storage drawers I have beneath them.

I painted the wall opposite the windows the palest of lilacs - just a hint of wonderful color. I love it combined with the orangey-red accents I used.

My Aero-Pilates machine will stay up and be used regularly now!









Big Bird is very creative. He told me so himself!

I hung striped rugs from a cafe rod on this antique standup desk that was my Dad's to cover the bookcases I placed there for extra storage.

I was even able to clear out this little room that had been used for storage and turn it into a sweet little bedroom - perfect for an afternoon nap or an extra guest. The toile wallpaper was put up by the former owners of our home.

I've a bit of finishing to do; I'll make new panels for the screen out of the fabric I draped there, and I'll make some more pillows for the bed out of black and white fabrics.

This space still looks a bit chaotic, but before The Big Re-Do you could barely walk into it! Now it stores my fabrics, gift wrapping supplies, iron and ironing board, and my wireless printer.

It feels wonderful to have it all finished! Bright, light, clean and PERFECT! I even used it today to do this drawing I've titled "Portrait of Jake with Wall Shelf and Posies":


And now it's time to go sip a bit of bubbly...turning 60 ain't so bad!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

It's wonderful, Karen Anne! And a work of art to live in.
Sharon

Susan said...

It's lovely. I love the bookshelves organized by color

NancyDaQ said...

You are lucky to have such a great space to work with. I like the black and white, it really pops.

Sandy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I love your studio! My absolute favorite thing is the mantle decor of tiny chairs and that fantastic drawing. Enjoy your birthday, bubbly, and brand new studio!

Jeannie said...

Happy Birthday! I love your portrait of Jake. Your studio invites creativity to enter. Have a wonderful weekend celebrating!

Anonymous said...

Just love your studio! The clean lines and that fabulous fireplace mantle-love,love!

Molly Wylie said...

I cannot tell you how much i love the space you have created for yourself. so gorgeous & whimsical...the perfect place to escape. i love escaping to your blog to see the latest projects you're working on..so many good ideas! thanks for sharing...xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails